Becoming a parent is a phenomenal feeling. With the birth of a child, parents get a new life as well. It is said that a child brings completeness to life. But these days the fertility level is decreasing in both men and women. There are many reasons as to why fertility is so difficult for many couples; however, there is one in particular that plays a big part and people tend to disregard. Believe it or not one of the most common factors that affect fertility the most is the food we eat.
It is no secret that the type of food we eat has changed a lot. We now prefer eating fast food because it is easy to do so and convenient. Also, these unhealthy foods tend to be tastier and more addictive. Hence, we feel tempted to eat them over and again. The healthy food cooked at home does not interest us much. Little do we know what the consumption of unhealthy food causes long term harms.
Healthy foods help to boost fertility. But which food items should you eat mainly? Also, which food items should be avoided. Don’t you always keep pondering on them?
Want to know how to have a baby successfully? Here’s a list of things you should have and not have to boost fertility.
Foods you should have
- Antioxidants – There are free radicals in our body that are harmful to sperm as well as female egg. Antioxidants help to kill these free radicals. Fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants. Leeks, onions, carrots and nuts are some food items that contain antioxidants.
- Fibres – Take a diet that includes fibrous foods. Bread, grains, nuts, beans and legumes are fibrous foods, to name a few.
- Proteins – Intake of proteins is essential. But, vegetable proteins must be considered over animal proteins. Vegetable proteins ensure lesser ovulatory infertility.
- Iron – Food materials with iron content are very healthy. They are not only good for us in general, but also boost fertility. Beans, lentils, baked potatoes, cashews etc. contain iron.
- Multivitamins – Multivitamins ensure that your body gets the vitamins it needs. Hence, contributing a lot to your health. Multivitamins include yoghurt, kale, nuts, sweet potatoes etc.
- Dairy products – Dairy products like milk, cheese, yoghurt etc. are healthy intakes. But, make sure you pick the dairy products with more fat content instead of those with low fat.
Foods you should avoid having
- Trans fats – Trans fats include snacks, cookies, pastries and fast food. These food items are ok once in a while. But, if made a routine, can severely hinder your fertility.
- Alcohol – Alcohol does not only impact your lungs, but it also affects your fertility. Therefore, either stop consuming it or bring down the rate of consumption.
- Caffeine – Regulated intake of caffeine is ok. But excess caffeine intake can hinder your fertility. It also leads to miscarriage in some cases.
Importance of a proper and balanced diet is what all of us have been studying since childhood days. It is time to apply it to our lives. Food affects each and every function of our body, and hence, it has a drastic effect on fertility as well. Whether you are trying to conceive naturally or you are undergoing IVF sex selection treatment, ensure that you are consuming healthy foods. It will not only boost your chances of getting pregnant, but it will keep you healthy and happy, and overall, that is the goal.
But, many other factors, apart from food, have an impact on fertility. You should also take care of yourself physically. You should neither be overweight or underweight. This factor is also interrelated with the food you eat and makes the importance of a proper diet clear.
Make sure you take enough rest and hydrate your body. You can consider drinking lemonade or orange juice. But, most importantly, make sure you drink enough water.